I (Andee) decided to start a blog to post my musical works in progress, under the “band nym” of Normal Fauna, and talk about the process of finding my way back into music as a middle-aged, late-diagnosed woman on the autism spectrum. Some things to know about this site:
- I use “autistic” as both a noun and an adjective to describe myself. I also use it to describe other individuals on the spectrum who have publicly identified as such, unless they (and I do mean they themselves, not those who claim to speak for them) request otherwise. This is non-negotiable.
- I use the word “allistic” to refer to persons not on the autism spectrum. I will use the term “NT” when it applies to people who have no “official” brain-related conditions at all.
- First-time commenters automatically go into mod. I have weird sleeping habits, so don’t freak out if I don’t get you out of mod right away.
- I reserve the right not to approve any first-time comments I don’t want to publish. (Generally, this applies to things like abuse, concern-trolling, and good old fashioned spam.)
- If comments become too hairy, I might disable them and only let FB friends comment on FB. We’ll have to see. Meanwhile, if we are FB friends you can comment there instead, if you prefer.
- If you want to comment only to me, you can write me at andee at normalfaunamusic dot com (or if you are a first-time commenter and you request that I not approve your comment for posting, that will work, too).
- When I post new works, I will post both a sound file and lyrics. I make my recordings using Acoustica Mixcraft, and “Adventures in Mixcraft” will be part of this blog.
- I probably will not change lyrics on readers’ suggestions unless I really screw up big, but would be open to any ideas about production, instrumentation, anything you think might help me make a better recording.
- Also, if you would like to play or sing on my recordings, collaborate on songs with me, or play live with me, I want to hear from you! (You need not be a professional musician or singer, or even a very good one, to work with me. You just have to like what I’m doing and want to be part of it. Even if you “don’t play anything,” I can probably find something for you to do!) And I especially encourage people with developmental disabilities to do this with me.
- My eventual goal is to have a Bandcamp type of page and offer my work (both recorded and live) as a professional(ish) entity, but I’m not there yet. This site is about my journey making my way to and through there.
- I will make every effort to make sure most of my posts are not this long. 😛
Also, in case anyone wonders about the origin of the name Normal Fauna, it’s a play on “normal flora,” otherwise known as the nice bacteria we all need to live, not the nasty disease-producing kind. Also, it’s ironic, like naming your gerbil Killer — the idea being that there really is no such thing as a single standard for what’s “normal” among fauna (including humans).